Source: Oracle Documentations
When you install the infrastructure, the installer asks if you want to install the Oracle Identity Management components, OracleAS Metadata Repository, or both. These are the installation types for the OracleAS Infrastructure:
Oracle Identity Management and OracleAS Metadata Repository
Oracle Identity Management
OracleAS Metadata Repository
Special Note:In addition to the components listed below, when you install the OracleAS Infrastructure, you also get the Oracle HTTP Server, Oracle Containers for J2EE, and Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g components. These components are always installed and configured, regardless of which installation type you selected.
OracleAS Infrastructure Components
1. Oracle Identity Management components
These components provide directory, security, and user management functionality. Some of these components have schemas in the OracleAS Metadata Repository.
- Oracle Internet Directory
- OracleAS Single Sign-On
- Oracle Delegated Administration Services
- Oracle Directory Integration Platform
- OracleAS Certificate Authority
2. OracleAS Metadata Repository
OracleAS Metadata Repository is a collection of schemas used by other Oracle Application Server components. The schemas can be grouped into these categories:
- Product metadata :These schemas are used by middle-tier components, such as OracleAS Portal and OracleAS Wireless.
- Oracle Identity Management metadata :These schemas are used by Oracle Identity Management components, such as Oracle Internet Directory, OracleAS Single Sign-On, and OCA.
- Management metadata:These schemas are used by components such as DCM.
Note:You can install the OracleAS Metadata Repository on one computer, and the Oracle Identity Management components on another computer. Within the Oracle Identity Management option, you can install Oracle Identity Management components over multiple computers as well.
These options also enable you to create a new database or use an existing database for the OracleAS Metadata Repository. Selecting either the "OracleAS Metadata Repository" or the "OracleAS Metadata Repository and Oracle Identity Management" option causes the installer to create a new database and populate it with the OracleAS Metadata Repository.
Infrastruture Installation Order:
If you plan to install both OracleAS Metadata Repository and Oracle Identity Management components on the same computer, select the "Oracle Identity Management and OracleAS Metadata Repository" option. The installer installs the components in the proper order.
You need to follow the order to install the infrastructure components on separate computers:
1. First Step to install OracleAS Metadata Repository
Installer will create a new database and populate it with the OracleAS Metadata Repository, or run the Oracle Application Server Repository Creation Assistant to install the OracleAS Metadata Repository in an existing database.
2. Second step to install Oracle Identity Management components
The installer prompts you to enter the connect information for the OracleAS Metadata Repository database and registers the OracleAS Metadata Repository with the newly created Oracle Internet Directory.
Ref Step by step Guide of "Installing Oracle Identity Management Components Only (Including Oracle Internet Directory)" in my earlier post.